Week 15 Reflection

This week we discussed risk management and legal responsibilities in certain nursing leadership roles. It was really interesting hearing about and participating in the various ethical/legal dilemmas. We discussed an event where an aggressive drunk man lit himself on fire after being restrained and how we would have reacted to the situation as the ED nurse leader. I remember being frustrated at the idea that the patient could have legally pressed charges for the injuries he received while under our care. I understand that the staff should have conducted more thorough safety checks on the patient, but at what point can the staff be held responsible for the unfortunate decisions made by the patient. I feel like there is a blurry line between allowing for personal freedom and liberty of patients and becoming responsible for their own decisions. When it comes to case studies like this, I become a strong advocate for natural selection. I get it, that doesn’t sound like a great attitude to have. As nurses we should be about protecting and conserving human life, however, I think personal freedom and liberty is more important than protection. Like Benjamin Franklin once said, “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”.

Published by Sean Stevenson

Hi! I'm Sean, I'm a nurse and student at Utah Valley University.