Week 8 Reflection

This week we watched a presentation on the future of nursing practice and discussed our thoughts on the subject. We also continued to work on our professional portfolios.

A thought that stuck out to me this week was the need for better collaboration within the healthcare system as a whole. What I mean by this is the need for a universal system in which every healthcare facility/provider is required to report to. I think this could improve the accuracy of medical records and increase communication between providers, as well as improve patient awareness and involvement in their own healthcare. However, this is so much easier said than done with our current healthcare system. Companies compete heavily to dip their toe in the billion dollar industry of software programming to create systems for the various healthcare corporations. I’m not saying that we need universal healthcare, I believe capitalism promotes innovation. I’m just suggesting a universal medical record system.

Another thought: While I believe that inter-professional collaboration will continue to improve, it will not do so passively. As professionals we need to be continuously be striving to improve the way we communicate, which requires practicing effective communication techniques. We need to familiarize ourselves with these techniques and implement them into our practice. SBAR is just one simple example of this.

Published by Sean Stevenson

Hi! I'm Sean, I'm a nurse and student at Utah Valley University.